[Nanocubes-discuss] Stopping and starting nanocubes server

[Nanocubes-discuss] Stopping and starting nanocubes server

Alex Bongiovanni
Is there a more graceful way to stop a nanocube server than sending SIGQUIT or SIGKILL or whatever?  I want to stop the server every night so that it can be reloaded with new data (there are updates released daily).

Also, is there a way to specify what port to use when starting the nanocube server?  Like, I'm starting two servers on one machine, and if I start them concurrently, I can't be sure which one will be port 29512 and which will be 29513, and so I have to figure out some way to edit the javascript files specifying the address every time I restart the server (I suppose I could write the port to a file and read it in when the visualization starts, but that seems a little messy).

Alex Bongiovanni
University of Maryland

Re: [Nanocubes-discuss] Stopping and starting nanocubes server

laurolins
Hi Alex,

No, we don’t have that on the master branch. On v1.0 we had a mechanism by sending a shutdown request (something like <a href="http://host:port/shutdown=key">http://host:port/shutdown=key). I will add an issue to include back this feature on the master branch.

Also, is there a way to specify what port to use when starting the nanocube server?  Like, I'm starting two servers on one machine, and if I start them concurrently, I can't be sure which one will be port 29512 and which will be 29513, and so I have to figure out some way to edit the javascript files specifying the address every time I restart the server (I suppose I could write the port to a file and read it in when the visualization starts, but that seems a little messy).

ncserve --port=29513

Thanks,
Lauro

Re: [Nanocubes-discuss] Stopping and starting nanocubes server

Alex Bongiovanni
Thanks!  Incidentally, I solved the shutdown problem by writing it into a watchdog program that restarts the server on a crash (as it does happen from time to time) - killing the watchdog kills the server, allowing for easy nightly updates.

Didn't I read somewhere in the paper that nanocubes were "add-only"?  Do you plan on adding functionality to add new data to an already running cube in the future?  That would probably be a pretty useful feature.

Hi Alex,

No, we don’t have that on the master branch. On v1.0 we had a mechanism by sending a shutdown request (something like <a href="http://host:port/shutdown=key" target="_blank">http://host:port/shutdown=key). I will add an issue to include back this feature on the master branch.

Also, is there a way to specify what port to use when starting the nanocube server?  Like, I'm starting two servers on one machine, and if I start them concurrently, I can't be sure which one will be port 29512 and which will be 29513, and so I have to figure out some way to edit the javascript files specifying the address every time I restart the server (I suppose I could write the port to a file and read it in when the visualization starts, but that seems a little messy).

ncserve --port=29513

Thanks,
Lauro

Alex Bongiovanni
University of Maryland

Re: [Nanocubes-discuss] Stopping and starting nanocubes server

Jim Klosowski

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Alex Bongiovanni <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!  Incidentally, I solved the shutdown problem by writing it into a watchdog program that restarts the server on a crash (as it does happen from time to time) - killing the watchdog kills the server, allowing for easy nightly updates.

Sounds reasonable.  We will add the shutdown feature into the master branch though too.

Didn't I read somewhere in the paper that nanocubes were "add-only"?  Do you plan on adding functionality to add new data to an already running cube in the future?  That would probably be a pretty useful feature.

In the paper, the nanocubes were add-only, but we've been working on a streaming version for a while now.  I'll let Lauro give you more details in terms of when it will be in the master branch (if not already -- I don't recall right now).